Sunday, October 25, 2009

Jamaican Creole and Standard English Contrasted

This page contains information about grammar, orthography and phonology

- Grammar -
1) The pronominal system
- The pronominal system of SE has a three-way distinction of person, singular/plural and gender. Compared to JC there are a lot of differences.

mi - Singular ....... wi- Plural
yu -Singular ...... unu- Plural
im(s/he)-Singular......dem- Plural
i(it)


- gender is lacked; except for a distinction between ‘common’ and ‘neuter’ in 3rd person
- SE pronouns are marked for case; there must be distinguished between I and me, him/her from he/she, they from them
- These distinctions do not exist in the JC system;
im can be translated he/him/she/her
wi can be translated us
dem can be translated they/them

- possessive pronouns like my, your, his, her, its, our, their are lacking in JC
- simple pronouns like shown above function as possessive pronouns


mi buk ......my book
yu buk ......your book
dem buk .....their book

2) Tense and aspect marking
- in SE past tense is either marked with the suffix -ed or -t, by a sound change like sing sang or are identical with the present form like put or hit
- aspect refers to it's (tense) completion or non-completion;i.e. I am walking (imperfective, non complete); I have walked (perfective, complete)
- aspect is expressed by using auxiliary verbs like be or have
- tense/aspect system of JC is fundamentally unlike that of English
- there are 2 preverbial particles: en and a
- they are no verbs; they are simply invariant particles which cannot stand alone like the English ‘to be’
- their functions differs also from the English
en is called a ‘tense indicator’
a is called the ‘aspect marker’
- there are no morphological marked past tense forms corresponding to English

Mi ron ........I run (habitually); I ran
Mi a ron ........I am running
Mi ena (en+a) ron ...........I was running
Mi en ron ..........I have run; I had run

3) Plural Marking
- plural in English is marked on most nouns, except of personal names and nouns refering to uncountable masses
- JC doesn't mark the plural of nouns, except of animate nouns; those are followed by the affix -dem

di wuman-dem .......the women
di tiicha-dem........ the teachers

4) Use of the copula
• the JC particle 'a' is required e.g.: Mi a rait ....... I am writing

• the JC equative verb is also 'a' e.g.: Mi a di tiicha .......I am a teacher

• JC has a separate locative verb 'de' e.g.: Wi de a London .....We are in London

• with true adjectives in JC no copula is needed; adjectives are a special class of verbs
e.g.: Mi taiad nou .......I am tired now


5) Negation


- JC negator ‘no’ used in present
Wi no de a London ......We are not in London.
Mi naa (no +a) ron ......I’m not running.
- ‘neba’ or ‘neva’ used only in past
Mi neba nuo dat .....I didn’t know that.
Nobadi neva sii im ......Nobody never saw him.

6) Prepositions


- JC uses the preposition a where English would often use in, at or to
Mi de a yaad .....I am in the yard.
Im de a skuul ........He is at school.
Im waant to go a skuul .......He wants to go to school.

4 comments:

  1. Miss can you please explain the importance of pluralization in the Jamaican Creole?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this information was useless to me

    ReplyDelete